Based on a longstanding relationship with for global wine company Delegat, built on proven performance, we were involved right back in the due diligence phase when they were first looking at buying the property. For this particular development we provided a design and build solution for clearing, contouring, drainage, roading and ripping, as well as a 700,000m3 reservoir.
Challenges and solutions
The block had a steep terrace 2km long and 12m high that we had to completely alter to create a long 15:1 grade slope to enable planting of efficient vineyard rows.
As the project site was remote and exposed to very cold and windy elements, we built a sheltered compound for workers (from our team, the client and the client’s separate contractors) that included offices, break rooms, an ablution block, and tanks for bulk diesel, waste and fresh water.
Check out these interesting numbers from the project:
- We saved the client $1.5M by extracting and crushing 78,000m3 of gravel from the adjacent river.
- All materials were produced to engineer’s specifications and M4 highway spec; tested through the Isaac IANZ certified civil laboratory.
- The $6.6M dam is now the largest lined dam in the Marlborough region.
- The dam covers 12.7ha of land and has 13m high walls.
- The cut-and-fill took 4 months with 30 staff achieving 7000m3 solid cut-and-fill completed per day.
- We averaged 7100m3 solid placed per day to achieve within the specified timeframe and completed all the pipework in parallel with clever sequencing.